← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Goodbye LING 1900! :(

Well tomorrow is the final day of reading buddies and I'm anxious to see how it goes. Last wednesday Josiah left the library in tears which was not how I visioned our 2nd to last meeting ending. He was upset because the reality of speaking in front of people settled in. My plan was for him to introduce us and thats all and when we practiced the introduction he did a very good job. But when his mom was picking him up and we talked one last time about the introduction I encouraged him to practice his lines and that's when he started to cry. So tomorrow should be interesting. I really hope he decides to introduce us and has the courage too or else it'll be a one man show and I'll be center stage.

Besides that final issue I think our final project together has been a very fun time. Josiah finally expressed a reading preference and it was for Star Wars material so I tried to play off this strength so he'd have some encouragement and would be excited for the project. Because before he really seemed to dread the idea of writing his own story. But my strategy worked and we wrote the story together and it was fun for him and I.

I'm sad that tomorrow will be our last meeting. I've had such a fun time hangin' with the little bugger every Wednesday that it's been a highlight of my week every week. So with a gap in my schedule my Wednesdays are gonna feel empty.

I'm very glad I participated in Reading Buddies and think that it's an activity every student could benefit from. I know it's cliché but reading buddies probably taught me more than I taught Josiah. I've become a better story teller (a personal goal of mine), improved my personal skills, and revisited my youth. I think I enjoyed most of the stories more than Josiah did to be honest. This is Eric signing off. Over and out!