← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

This semester couldn't have gone by any faster! I can't believe that Reading Buddies has ended and that this is my last night with Bridget. Spending time with her and getting to know her fun little personality has truly been a blessing.

Last week we did evaluations of the program and it made me realize what an amazing program Reading Buddies is. They are extremely organized with how they run things yet they allow students and their little buddies to get to know each other and not be forceful with a curriculum. I feel like the children and students both grow greatly from this program by learning to work together. The only thing I wish they would have included more is activities besides just reading, because it is a very long time to only read books.

Tonight we are sharing Bridget's story with the rest of Reading Buddies and I am so excited for her. I couldn't believe she was able to read the entire book when we practiced last week! Her mom and siblings are coming to watch and I know they are going to be so proud of her. Her book is so silly and it’s about a group of tigers who fight bulls then get adopted by a girl named Katie who has a broken arm. Her imagination is wild and I know one day she will look back on her book and laugh.

Bridget told me last week that when she grows up she wants to be a reading buddy which made me smile because it implies that I was a positive influence on her life and I was a part of something she wants to continue in her life.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to work with these kids!