← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Bridget

The little girl I was assigned to work with is a 6 year old named Bridget. She is a very sweet girl who loved ISPY books. She is the youngest of 4 children and her favorite animal is a tiger. Bridget is very easy to be around. She is always making sure that I like the books we are reading as much as she does and she likes to switch off who is choosing the books.

During one of our reading buddy sessions we had recently, all she wanted to read about was tigers. We used the library search engines to find all of the books in the children's library that were stories about tigers. After reading about 4 books or so, we decided to draw pictures of the tigers we read about in the stories. She decided that she wanted to write her final book at the end of the semester on a tiger named Cece.

Bridget grew up in Colorado and I grew up in Indiana therefore I have somewhat of a midwest accent. When I read certain words to her like mom, basketball, or apple for example she often times corrects me and makes me say the word she does.

Since her first session, Bridget has begun to show more interest in other types of books besides just ISPY. We would have to read a picture book and then do an ISPY book. She now likes to read only 2 ISPY books a session. She has also started to like to read some of the books on her own. When she recognizes the words, she likes to take over and read.

Bridget and I just started writing a book. So far, Bridget is writing the story about a tiger named Cece who became really sick one day. She then realized that she was going to have 2 baby tigers. When the babies were born they decide to go hunting in Africa. Once we finish the story, she will draw the pictures and we will bind the book. Every day, we begin the day by drawing name tags together. Bridget loves doing this and always has me write her name in cursive for her.

Bridget has begun to become more interested in reading herself rather than have me read to her. She has begun to choose simple books and reading them herself. I have taught her some words that she didn't know and it is so exciting when she figures them out and recognizes them later on.

So far, Bridget has taught me how important reading is to children. I have watched how certain stories spark curiosity in her or make her tell certain stories. Reading to her makes her want to know how to read as well. Reading makes her think and be more creative.