← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Jeffrey Rice #1

In the SWAP program I have established a relationship with my "student" Maria Torres. We are in the 2B section for learning. Maria has lived in Colorado with her family for 15 years. She has two kids, one is in the 7th grade and playing soccer. Her daughter is in 5th grade, and they live together in Denver with her husband as well. I enjoy learning about Maria and hearing her speak in English. She says she knows "pequeño" English, but I have found that she can usually understand what I am saying. She enjoys writing the most, and she really wants to learn certain vocabulary for her job and life.

I am extremely excited to work with her this year, because I can see she really wants to learn. She doesn't want to do homework because she doesn't have much time when she isn't working, so I am going to make an effort to help her watch English television shows and interact more with English speakers. I have google translate on my computer up if we need to interact and can't understand each other, but we can usually just phrase words differently to accomplish the same thing. I hope to take her on a field trip soon so we can describe what we see around us. I want to mix up the learning environment so we can find which environment she learns English the best in. We make vocabulary lists and she uses them to look over. This is going to be an exciting semester!