← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Bridget and I have gotten a lot closer over the past month. She loves sharing stories about her friends at school and about her fights with her brothers and sisters. We usually spend the first 15 minutes of our session catching up about her week. We then work on our name tags for the day. She loves her name written in cursive so I have been teaching her how to do that. She thinks her name looks prettier written that way. When we finish nametags, we switch off between reading, drawing pictures for her book, and recently making origami every session. We found a book that was on how to make origami and Bridget wanted to learn how. Her favorite thing to make is a shape that looks like a boat one way and a hat if you turn it the other way.

I have noticed that Bridget is a very observant child. She loves watching all of the other reading buddies and is always interested in what they are doing. I find it hard to hold her attention for a long amount of time. Bridget likes when we have a schedule for the day and when we don't stay focused on anything for too long. The more I have planned for the day, the more fun she ends up having. I have found that switching things up and always having a plan for the day holds her attention. If I do lose her attention though, I ask her if she likes what we are doing or give her an option of doing another activity which often refocuses her.

Overall, Bridget is very successful in the reading buddies program. She loves reading and is always interested in new books and new things to be doing. Most of the other reading buddies struggle to get their little buddies to want to read but I never have struggled with Bridget. She is a bright and very easy little girl to be around.

My favorite activity Bridget and I do together is work on her book. She is so funny and creative with what she chooses for her characters to do. Her tigers get ice cream, fight bulls, and have family dinner together. Her pictures are very elaborate and she loves spending time on the details of their stripes.