← Return to the LING 1900 blog index.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Jeffrey Rice #2

After a couple mishaps I am happy to say the SWAP program is working out. My first student, after a couple meetings decided she was too busy to continue working with me in the program. Now I have a new student named Hugo; we have had a couple of classes. Unfortunately Hugo had to miss our first week of classes because he hurt his back working. Hugo is for the most part fluent in English, and is a lot of fun to talk to. He is a level 6B and is almost done with the program. This is very nice for me because my first student was a 2A and I really had difficulty communicating with her. I am glad to say that we both love sports and talking about them. He likes fĂștbol and I like football so it was interesting to see how the cultures are similar yet different. I plan to take him on a field trip out to breakfast one of these days. The material we're going over is less everyday vocabulary and much more narrowed focus. It deals with the timing of events and understanding some less popular slang ways of saying things like "beats me". I'm excited to see Hugo continue to learn English after this class and hope he becomes completely fluent in the next year. Overall, this semester has been a good experience, and I am excited to finish the semester strong with Hugo.